Thursday, September 10, 2009

World Suicide Prevention Day

Today is the official "World Suicide Prevention Day".

If you ever have thoughts of suicide, please call 1-800-SUICIDE (United States). SuicideHotlines.com is also a great website for specific area hotlines too.

(I wish I had more information on hotlines outside of my country, but I'm sure with a quick visit to Google you could find something easily. Take the few extra minutes to find a number - it could mean your LIFE.)


I have attempted suicide a few times, but with the love of a friend and with the care of doctors, I survived. At the time I hated every minute of it; doctors locking me away, friends always prying into my personal life. However, due to a frightening event and better skills in dealing with life in positive ways, I realize life is worth living. On February 27th, 2008 my house was broken into, and I was home alone. I truly believed that in a matter of minutes a gun would be pointed at my face. I begged the 911 operator for help to arrive faster, in between my repents. What scared me the most is not that I'd be leaving my family, my dog, or my boyfriend. What scared me the most was that my life was about to end and I had no control over it.

I cut myself only once after that. Since then, I have been clean from self mutilation. I realized that I didn't want to die, and my life almost ending by someone else's hand woke me up to that realization.

So use my life and live vicariously - realize that life is worth living.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Me gusta Me gusta!
:-P
That is scary as shit!
But sometimes getting scared to death is what it takes!!!


And B was the ONE I mentioned. lol

Alexis Voltaire said...

I know that but she's still not 'totally femme' lol

Anonymous said...

I have also been there a few times, and one time I almost completed my journey in this life. How thankful I am that my family support, doctors, and three days in ICU brought me back. My mother did leave my world though suicide when I was 8 yrs. old. Thank you for posting this for others to see. I hope that everyone that reads this will be able to help themselves or someone they love and care for.

Alexis Voltaire said...

Anonymous 9/11 7:48am:I am glad you are still here today, and that you had a support system to keep you going. I'm sorry about your mother, suicide of a family member is always heartbreaking and absolutely terrible. It's even more amazing that you're alive today after seeing something so traumatic happening so close in your family. You truly are an inspiration!

HWHL said...

Life is definitely worth living. And I can tell you, from the "other side", having a loved one take their own life leaves a big and permanent scar that never ever goes away and ripples out forever and ever (even though he didn't mean for it to....).

Life can be hard, messy, and painful... but it can also be so beautiful and amazing that it will take your breath away. You just have to slog through the difficult parts and have faith that it will get better, even when all you can see is gray. I promise (promise) to anyone who is reading this that it WILL get better. Hang on. Please don't give up, and please don't give IN...

(Thanks for writing this posting Alexis... I think you've given a lot of people HOPE... which is what they need when things look blacker than the darkest midnight...)

Peace.