Thursday, August 27, 2009

50 Things Everyone Should Know How To Do: #14

14.  Remember Names – Do you like when someone tries to get your attention by screaming “hey you”?


    Something happened to me today that offended me, but only for a second. After that second, I felt sorry for the person.

   I have known this person for many years, around five. He is a friend of a friend, so no one close to me. However, he made this statement today in my direction, "Bye, sorry, whatever your name is, I forgot."

   Okay, that's fine. Like I said, at first I was a little irritated, "How could he not know my name?" Then I remember, "Oh yeah, I'm not as important to everyone else as I am to myself and certain people. I can't possibly expect him to remember." So no big deal there.

   But as we grow into adults it's just respectful to remember our peers's names, especially once we're in the work field. You're probably going to get in trouble if you can't remember your boss's name, but I bet he'd be even angrier if you couldn't remember his daughter's name, which is a name you're likelier to forget. My point is we can't only remember the important names, we must also remember those we might find irrelevant in that moment.

   "But I have difficulty remembering names, it's not that I'm a rude person.", you might say. Well there are plenty of guides on how to remember names, some of which you can find right here on the internet. Here's one that I found rather enlightening, from the website Mind Tools. (There are two more listed on the marcandangel.com link, plus tons more on Google.)

No comments: