Monday, August 31, 2009

Memory-carrying jewelry

Ugh.

You really still wear that same necklace that haunts my nightmares of you. To you it has no relation to me, but to me it's symbol is everything you are. I can't even look at my similar necklace without thinking about how fucked you made things for me. Never again will I look at a man the same. No amount of therapy could take away my view on the opposite sex, all because of you. Take that subtly and figure out who you are.



Anyway,

It's interesting how something so insignificant as a piece of jewelry can carry so many memories. Once, an ex returned a necklace to me that I had given him early on in our relationship. At first I wore it again.  It was a nice necklace, and before I had given it to him it was mine. A few weeks later I had picked up my old habit with the necklace of putting it in-between my lips and playing with it, but then something occurred to me. I remembered the photographs I had seen of my ex wearing it with his current girlfriend, and it hit me- not only did he wear this with his current girlfriend, he wore this same necklace while fucking the girl he cheated on me with.

It carried too many memories for me to wear comfortably and without being enraged at the sight of it. (I was as "over it" as I could be even then, but who really completely gets over being cheated on. I don't believe I'm being juvenile on this, with still holding some anger. I have a right to be angry, it would only be unhealthy if I obsessed over it. The bottom line is, he risked my health and my life.)


I wonder if this is something I could ever get over. The belief probably isn't the healthiest. Do any of you feel this same way?

No comments: