Thursday, August 27, 2009

MakesMeThink.com, thought-provoking stories in the style of FML

"Today marks 6 years since I was discharged from a mental hospital after suffering from severe depression. I've since graduated from college, started a successful marketing firm, and am the proud father of a beautiful baby boy. MMT"
     I discovered this website today. It's like FML, which most of the internet-savvy world knows about by now. Although funny, FML isn't exactly changing lives and making people think. It's rare I feel like something was created just for me (even though I know it wasn't), but today is one of those days. I can already tell that Makes Me Think is going to be a favorite website of mine. I can invision myself replacing my habit of checking FML before bed with checking MMT.
   This specific MMT really hit home and brought tears to my eyes. Despite being on a different time frame than this man-I was in and out of mental hospitals from the ages 12-13, so there is no way I could have graduated from college or had children by now-I hope I can succeed as greatly as he did. Whoever you are, you are an inspiration to me. I will remember you in my many years to come.


   Here is another one that will greatly inspire me in the future:
"Today my coworkers laughed at me when I told them my dream was to own my own bakery. When I told my father what happened, he said, "I've known a few people who went after their dreams. One thing they all had in common was they got laughed at in the process. MMT"