Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Current Work Load

     People have this misconception of me doing nothing with my time. If I shed light on them about my personal life, they’re either surprised and dumbfounded into being speechless, or critical in a variety of ways.
     To clarify for as broad a single audience I can reach: I study all day, every day. A few months ago when I realized I had the time and capabilities to study to this degree, it became my life. I don’t need a job—although I am trying to get one now, for pretty obvious reasons that exist in California until the latter part of this year—and my focus has become paramount to before after my diagnosis of ADD alongside a prescription of Vyvanse (Adderall). My constant attitude is that all knowledge unknown won’t be for long, and nothing is impossible of being held in my grasp.

     Tonight I organized my book “work load” after tidying up my room a bit, and took a picture to show my boyfriend. Before sending it I thought, instead of just sending him the photo with a detailing of what all is pictured, why not share with COSA18 and elaborate a little further than the limits that would likely have bored Jonathan anyway? So for a little proof that I’m not useless or lazy, here we go.


     On the left are the books I have already read, but have yet to completed the excerpts for. From top to bottom they are as follows:
  • The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins
  • Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley
  • Island by Aldous Huxley
  • The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis
  • Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
  • The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
  • Climbing Mount Improbable by Richard Dawkins

        In the middle and on the right are books I have yet to read, but hope to within the next month and a half. The middle stack is science and non-fiction:
    • A Reader’s Guide to T.S. Eliot by George Williamson
    • The End of Faith by Sam Harris
    • The Descent of Man by Charles Darwin
    • Evolution for Everyone by David Sloan Wilson
    • The Book of Animal Ignorance by John Mitchinson and John Lloyd
    • A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking
    • Brave New Worlds by Bryan Appleyard
    • Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins


         To the right is strictly fiction:
    • The 120 Days of Sodom & Other Writings by Marquis de Sade
    • Jacob’s Hands: A Fable by Aldous Huxley and Christopher Isherwood
    • After Many A Summer Dies the Swan by Aldous Huxley
    • A Clergyman’s Daughter by George Orwell
    • Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
    • The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I never doubted you for a moment! You have a great journey ahead and you will be noted one day for who you are. You go girl ;)*

    Alexis Voltaire said...

    @ kissafrog69: Thank you for the encouragement, it means a lot to me. :)