Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What are some cultivating books and movies?

     I can't keep my lists alive forever! I'm seeking suggestions for classic books and movies, things that will help me achieve my goal of being a cultured individual, at least more so than I am now. Remember though, it doesn't have to be old to be a classic. :)

     All the books I've read lately are listed on the left hand side under my Goodreads widget. As for movies, I can't really help you in the same easy way, but I can recall the one's I've seen lately either for the first time, or again after some time. The worst that could happen is that someone suggests a movie and I've already seen it. So to help you out, here are a few of the movies I have seen (this might also give you a better idea of what I'm looking for)—

Fellini's 8 1/2, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory ('71), Lolita ('97), Sybil ('77), Begotten ('91), 1884 ('84), Eraserhead ('77), The Nines ('07), Jesus Camp ('06", Super Size Me ('04), Alice ('88), Pee-Wee's Big Adventure ('85), A Clockwork Orange ('71). . .

     Thank you so much in advance, should anyone comment!

7 comments:

luizhdealmeida said...

Sophie's World - book

Into the Wild - movie

District 9 - movie

Avatar - movie (duh..)

Alexis Voltaire said...

@ Almeidinha: I've been wanting to check out Sophie's World, this is just the reminder I need. I think I've heard of Into the Wild, I'll look that one up on Netflix. As for the last two, I've seen them both, good movies, but I thought Avatar is a tad bit overrated. :)

Alexis Voltaire said...

@ Almeidinha: And thank you!

luizhdealmeida said...

Yes, there was a big fuzz about Avatar.
But I really liked the way they made the environment in the movie. Quite creative.

Alexis Voltaire said...

@ Almeidinha: The environment reminded me of video games like Final Fantasy and Lost Odyssey, and the tree reminded me of Zelda's famous Deku Tree. In relation to movies, it was a lot like Advent Children which is why it irritated me that so many people are praising Avatar like it's an entirely new concept when it's not. I guess I'm frustrated with the film because it's getting all the credibility other films deserve.

Unknown said...

Judging by what you read, I think you'd like the following:
Religion Explained - Pascal Boyer
Consilience - Edward O. Wilson
Consciousness Explained - Daniel Dennett
The Blank Slate - Steven Pinker
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks
Writings on an Ethical Life - Peter Singer (seriously check this guy out, I think you'd get a big kick out of him)
Godel, Escher, Bach - Douglas Hofstradter
Ideas - Peter Watson

those are all non-fiction...

fiction:
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Hocus Pocus - Kurt Vonnegut
Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

movies:
Songs from the Second Floor - a swedish film
Irreversible - Gaspar Noe
Funny Games - Michael Haneke

btw, you have a most wonderful and honest blog here. Just awesome.

Alexis Voltaire said...

@ dontdontoperate: I can almost embarrassingly say I haven't heard of most of those! Though it works in my favor, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions, I will check each and every one of them out in the future. :)
Thank you!