Monday, December 21, 2009

Hello world, what joy it is being sick~!

     Hello world!

     If you know me, you know I am often ill— or so it feels like it anyway. Just a few months ago I had H1N1, more affectionately and miscorrectly identified as "Swine Flu" by the media and commercials directed towards terrified consumers. I thought one serious illness a year was enough, but apparently my predictions were wrong. I'm not sure what I've had for the past few days, but it hasn't been pleasant, that’s for sure. Last Monday when I was at my mom's picking up LMFAO tickets—the show was great by the way, despite Firestone being packed to capacity —she had the flu, so perhaps that's what swept me under the weather.

     I've been coughing a lot today, so I've been hoping that it's a sign my body is trying to cough it all out and I'll feel much better tomorrow. I sure hope so because I've felt increasingly worse every day so far. Earlier this evening I felt pain in my lower back from continuous coughing, something my friend Bianca related to. It was truly unlike anything I've ever experienced before, and definitely one of the most painful things I've ever felt in my life. I felt how pregnant women describe their aching backs after several months of pregnancy, haha.

     If wellness greets me tomorrow I plan on restarting my Adderall again and getting heavily back into studying like I was before all this mess. I've been reading some since I've been sick, but I've read fiction for the most part, namely Nicholas Sparks’s The Last Song. Laugh all you want, but I justify it with feeling obligated since I saw the movie being shot in Savannah this past summer. Usually I find mindless fiction a complete waste of time unless it's something like Lolita or Animal Farm, both works of fiction with a meaning deeper than just "teenage love”. Sparks is a decent story teller, although somewhat repetitive in his descriptions and The Last Song is fairly unbelievable when it comes to the back story of the main character Ronnie. Regardless, it's been entertaining, and I'll admit it has fed into the female within me by teasing me with it's details of a perfect romance that doesn't exist.

     Other than aforementioned title, the only thing I've peeked into after finishing Lolita has been The Wasteland by T. S. Eliot. I've read I and II a few times so far, it's very good. I’m excited to read the rest of his work once concentration floods back into my senses.

     Besides reading I've watched quite a few movies since we got Netflix a week or two ago with our new TV and Blu-Ray player. Since I've been sick, I've watched: Super Size Me, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (had never seen it before, my parents deprived me), Confessions of a Shopaholic (sucked), Lisa Lampanelli: Take It Like a Man, Fellini's 8 1/2 (have to watch the rest of it still), Eraserhead, and Bill Cosby: Himself. I've definitely kept myself occupied, haha.

     I braved the cold world today to holiday shop for my friends, I wish I could talk about what I got them but some of them read this and I don’t want to spoil their surprises. I'll have to wait until they've opened their gifts to tell you guys! (And I definitely paid the price when I got home for daring venture out of the house, haha.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep, being sick sucks!!!! Hope you are doing better and will be out and about again soon. As for romance, who knows. LOL Take care and get feeling better soon!!!